Thursday, February 3, 2011

When I Learned

I never really understood or saw that what I was buying was dumb, until one purchase I made. I consider this to be my landmark purchase that ended all stupid purchases.

It happened at a thrift store this past summer. I love to thrift (who doesn't), and I was looking around and found the bags section. One bag I found was this neat looking, vintage camera bag. The second bag I found was a small suitcase that zipped and buckled. The third bag I found was a heavy, leather laptop case. At the time, I had no doubt in my mind that I would end up using all three of these bags.



I did use the vintage camera bag for a while as a purse. It was so stiff and odd though that it wasn't really something you could get something out of quickly. The other two bags sat in my attic area (I have an "attic" in my room. You can just open the door and walk in). I used the suitcase one for storage for a while. The laptop case never got used.

I forgot to mention that before I bought the bags, my fiance and I got into an argument about me buying the bags. Obviously, I wanted to and he thought it was a bad idea. He was right. He even took a voice memo of me admitting he was right (to be funny of course).  I didn't realize when I bought them that within probably a months time the bags would end up in that attic. They still sit there. I'm sure I'll end up writing a blog about that attic. My outbox.

Anyway, me buying those bags made me realize something: I make a lot of stupid purchases. Since then, I have made it a point to analyze what I'm buying. Now, I really think thoroughly if I'm going to use it, or if it will make it's way into my outbox until spring (garage sale). I do still slip up here and there, but for the most part I feel comfortable saying I make smart purchases. Recently, I actually wrote out a list of things I won't allow myself to buy. It's funny though, because I forgot about the last probably two weeks ago and ended up buying something that was on it, and of course I'm regretting it now. That being a either 3 or 5 oz bottle of lotion that was on sale at Bath and Body works. Those "Yellow Sales" get me every time.

Here's the list:
1. fragrance oils (the kind you burn)
2. lotions
3. body sprays
4. things because they're on sale
5. unnecessary make-up (make up that isn't in my daily routine)
6. accessories (purses, jewelry etc.)
7. notebooks
8. organization stuff (odd I know, but sometimes things can be better on their own rather than in some kind of container)
9. decorations
10. office type stuff

Right now, I really want to put my money towards a better wardrobe.  Buying the things on that list prevent that from happening (and do often). I'm doing a lot better though since the bag epiphany.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment